The world setting is based on the United Kingdom of the 1980s; however, the timeline took a distinct detour. It is implied that this is because someone (perhaps the Goliath Corporation) has been using time travel to change history. While the ChronoGuards were instituted to prevent this, they appear to be deeply involved in perpetrating it.
A few of the differences: Edit
- The Crimean War never ended
- No World Wars
- No jet planes; dirigibles are common
- A large interest in classical literature
- Crimes involving book forging are high and lucrative
- A police force known as SpecOps that manages everything from werewolves to literary crimes.
- Do-it-yourself cloning kits that have re-introduced dodos as house pets
- Mammoth migrations
- Cheese smuggling